Apr 18, 2010

Mary had a little... sheep!

I was searching for yarn to make the model of a "fur" vest I have had an idea of in my head for a while, and stumbled upon several opinions that make me consider to look at Lopi yarn. I looked, I decided, I got it :) Here's a story about this Iclandic yarn...  100% pure wool has a tradition of quality, which began in 1896.  Icelandic wool is lighter, warmer, and more water-resistant than that found elsewhere.  Over the centuries, their wool has developed to ensure as much protection as possible from the harsh northern climate. Icelandic sheep therefore maintain their unique properties which make Lopi such an outstanding yarn. 
Icelandic sheep fleece is double layered, and in the same way that the sheep are kept warm and dry, the wearers of Lopi can expect the same results.  The wool of Icelandic sheep consists of two types of fibers, inner and outer.  The inner layer of light fine fibers are soft and crinkly, insulating well against the cold, while the outer fibers are long and course and smooth - and as a result, water repellent.  Moisture cannot penetrate, because it runs down the outer fibers. These fibers are irregular, and they create air spaces when loosely bound together. The two combined create a light but sturdy water resistant yarn.
The color selection is astonishing. For my first item I choose white. Here's the yarn and what's coming out of it... It's going to be a bohemian-style "fur" vest, oh, so warm, for oh, so free spirited! :)

 

I am considering to knit the same vest in Fawn, and Ecru, and I will have to search for a beige shade... I want there to be four different options for my customers :)

                 

No comments:

Post a Comment